Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Heavenly Holiday Activities

Have you ever carefully planned and anticipated a family activity? You picture the laughs, the smiles, the glow of family togetherness....
See, I'm not a crafty mom. The very idea of sitting down to do a project with my kids raises my blood pressure, and I start to feel like a caged animal. This Christmas, I vowed to give my children more Christmas cheer than they've had in their whole lives. This was going to be the year when we bake cookies, sing carols, do (gulp) crafts, and generally make merry every day. I ripped off my sister's idea and made a paper chain and wrote a festive activity for each day. We've been working our way through holiday movies, candy-glass ornaments, gingerbread men, and finally last night, gingerbread houses.
I've bought every candy imaginable, even waffle cones for towers. I've really looked forward to this, but yesterday something happened that I couldn't have predicted: school was canceled. I had already exhausted my supply of patience by the time we began our grand project.
I was already tense when we sat down to start. The boys were so excited, they were literally bouncing on the benches. I remembered something I'd forgotten in the kitchen and turned to get up when...WHAM! I was blinded by pain. There was a huge blow to my nose, accompanied by a sound like a beetle getting stepped on. My little 6 year old had chosen that exact moment to loose himself from the bands of earth and rocket to the stars.
I'm not happy, clutching my face, sure that the blood will soon be flowing through my fingers. I let out a wail "WHY can't you guys just sit down like normal HUMANS!" At this point, the wretched child dashes from the table, runs to his room and slams the door. I'm not far behind him, flinging myself on my own bed. I chance a look at my face, and sure enough, there isn't even a mark. Maybe a slight swelling. I'm bitterly disappointed that I'm going through so much pain, and I have nothing to show for it. Alas, life's not fair. I'm feeling guilty, because it was an accident, and I should have kept my mouth shut, or at least kept my mouth nice. I hear the little disgraced one return to the table, so I join them too. We salvage the night, and manage to end up with some pretty impressive creations.


See, not even a mark. Just the red spot from where my stitch was a few weeks ago.

His ended up looking less like a house, and more like a trailer park after a tornado.

This is all that was left of the our oldest's creation. He's not much into architecture.

A sultan's palace, perhaps?

Here's the little bruiser. I'm not bitter, though.

And finally, the over-achiever of the family. And thankfully, the one with the coolest head.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Hilarious! Those little guys can really deal the blows, can't they? I can imagine that happening in our house too. Tell number two his house looked the yummiest. I guess I have a thing for trailer trash. Tell me how the other days go. My boys are so not into it I've ripped all of the links off myself and so far we've done one item on the chain; a week later.

Allison said...

You are SOOOOO much braver than me! Attempting the houses....whew!

I've totally had that "hit in the face and THAT'S IT I'VE HAD IT!" moment where I, too, ran to my room and buried myself in my bed...wishing it was a cave far, far away....

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

We made candy cane cookies the other day, which took FOUR HOURS!! I foolishly doubled the recipe, knowing that I only would have the stamina for one go for Christmas cookies. Half way through, I ended up sending both kids to their room for quiet time so we could enjoy the eating part together. Even that was ruined because they decided they don't like candy cane cookies (I let them taste some of the batch where every single one broke as I tried to pry it off the cookie sheet. Apparently, if you top these cookies with crushed peppermints, they melt and gain the consistency of hardened cement as they cool and stick to the pan). My gift plates ended up looking pretty lame with only one type of cookie on them, but I considered it to be a great accomplishment.

Kristin said...

Oooohhhh! I've had that happen, too! Or when you have one on your lap and he suddenly bounces up and your jaw slams shut so hard that you think you've broken a tooth! I think maybe we'll pass on the gingerbread houses this year...I even had a recipe for real gingerbread I wanted to do instead of graham crackers. I just don't know if I have what it takes this year. Maybe I'll make it next October and then freeze it so it'll be less hassle next Christmas. =)

Kim said...

We discussed this very thing the other day. I'm glad that all turned out okay. I too had a list but I've had to simplify to adapt with my patience and the happenings of each day. My oldest continues to test my patience. Last night I was talking with Jeff and I actually told him that I really don't like D right now. It made me feel like a horrible mother. I didn't think I would ever feel like that but I do sometimes. Jeff says I should serve him. (Does Laundry count?) Any ideas????? Help me, pleeeeaaaase!?

Abby said...

Nice to meet you, EarlGirl! Your day does sound like my "Dead Blackberry" day. After I posted that entry, my baby came home from Grandma's with what looks like the flu, and my oldest spilled and big old cup full of hot chocolate all over the kitchen just as I left for Enrichment tonight. Tomorrow looks to be much slower, and I'm planning a nice long nap! By the way, we loved the Boys-R-Us movie. It got me to thinking that maybe the next installment should be one about the things we MOMs go through on a daily basis!

Jenn said...

Kim,
Every mother feels like that sometime! I'd like to serve mine sometimes too, right over the net with my best shot. We still need to treat them well but certainly not beat ourselves up for feeling the way you're supposed to feel when confronted with a sassy twerp.

Kimber & Jeremy! said...

You are so awesome. I love reading your blog. I came here the first time from Nicole's I think. You are quite wonderful (and I must tell you that my mom--who lives a couple of houses away--has raved about you for years :)). I have loved reading your posts and I wish we were neighbors. Thanks for being such a great person. Merry late Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

EarlGirl said...

Yay! A lurker out of the closet! It took a little while for my brain to clunk along to solve the mystery of your identity. You left me some pretty big clues, though. Good to hear from you, momma k!