Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Family that Works Together.....

A few weekends ago, we made the 2 hour drive to the Inlaw's house. They're country folk, and heat with wood. They're getting older, and had a ginormous stack of lumber that needed to be cut, split and stacked. "Could you guys come for a wood chopping party?" they asked. "Sure!" I said. I'd be happy to volunteer my husband's considerable muscles to the cause. It would be fun to sit and chat with the ladies. His family is famous for their feasts, there would be tons of food to snack on while we're sitting and gabbing. The morning of the 'party' I pulled on my new cute jeans and sweater, all ready for some socializing. Then my husband's sister pulled up in work clothes and a baseball cap. Shoot.

Posted by Picasa


Here's a cute little collage of our day. Click on it to examine it closely. "Earlgirl", you say, "I see your baby working, your husband, and all kinds of other children, but I don't see you!"
Alas, 'tis true. I actually did do some hard labor for a few minutes, then I got sawdust in my eye and scratched it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a hard worker. No, seriously. I AM! I'm just not a wood-splitter-hauler-stacker. Take a look at my husband's sister though (in red). She split logs for hours! With an actual AXE. I guess I'll have to be content with being the flaky prissy sister in law. I did look cute in my jeans and sweater though. Does that count for something?

4 comments:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. It reminded me of the time Mom and Dad told us they would pay us a certain amount of money each if we loaded all the wood into the wood shed. I snuck out and did it all myself in the hopes that I would get all the money. Alas, they only gave me my share. I know, I was such a turd.

Michelle said...

This has nothing to do with your post. I saw this background, laughed, and thought of your review. Have a look.

http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/background.php?id=380

Jenn said...

I'm sure you were slaving away in your heart...
Great pics. We do a wood cut get together too.

lovecat said...

I think that chopping all that wood sounds fun! It's too bad you "got something in your eye" right at the beginning, I'm sure that was annoying.;)