Sunday, January 6, 2008

The F-Bomb Dropped at Dinner!

We had company. Yes, company. We've known the Kings for years; my husband home teaches them, (that means he visits them and helps them when there's a problem, it makes them almost family) and John has had the distinct honor of being my two older boys' scout leader. They brought their long-anticipated and much-adored baby with them. These eyes and chubby cheeks are responsible for my lack of attention during Sunday school every week. See, the Kings know to hand this sweetie over to his 'Auntie M' as soon as they get to class. We were eating, talking and laughing, telling funny stories. I was telling the assembled group about the trouble we had with #2 son when he was learning to talk. I explained to everyone how much this little guy loved trucks. He couldn't let one pass by him without commenting on it. He also couldn't pronounce 'tr', instead, he substituted the sound 'f'. I told them about how he saw a toy truck in Sacrament Meeting and started shouting out his version of 'truck'. We all had a good laugh at our humiliation. As the noise began to die down, boy #3 piped up "I know what he said, he said '%#*&'. There were a few moments ringing silence. Then we all broke down, absolutely breathless. I was laughing so hard I was crying, my face buried in my hands. Even Rashed had his head down on the table, unable to keep it in. I understood that I had gravely miscalculated my listening audience. This little guy had no idea what the f-word even was. 'Shut up' and 'stupid' are swear words in our house. He just wanted to impress us with his powers of deduction. When he was under control again, my husband gently informed him not to say that word, that it was a swear word. "That's the F-WORD?" He said, incredulously. Yep, that's the one. Wouldn't you know, he discovers that with company over?

4 comments:

Lee said...

AHHHHHHH!! THAT is hilarious. But one of those of crap moments.

Allison said...

NO WAY!! I read the title to Aaron and he said, "Oh! And the Kings were over for dinner!" and then started busting up laughing!

Abby said...

That's my dream version of that story! (I had the nightmare version this summer.) It was more Christmas Story style - and my parents were there. It was a little more uncomfortable - I like yours sooooooo much better!

Anonymous said...

That is hillarious. I wouldn't have had the exact same reaction as you. It is so hard sometimes to keep a straight face.