Monday, June 22, 2009

Did I Just do Something Stupid?

I have a nasty kitchen floor. It's laid with really thick, as in more than an inch, rounded terra cotta tiles. The tile is old and pitted, and dirt is impossible to get out of all those tiny crevices.
I had a brainwave this morning, though.
Instead of taking hours on my hands and knees, what about making use of my husband's treasured toy?



Did I just use 3000 psi jets of water on my kitchen floor? Why, yes. Yes I did. My floors have never been cleaner. My ears are still ringing, I smell like gas fumes, but it was so stinking fun. Was it stupid? Absolutely. Did I flood anything downstairs? Only a little. Was it worth it? Uh-huh.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

My friends found this stuff at Lowe's or Home Depot that was a sealer that you paint onto your tile-- tiles, grout and all. It seals out the dirt and grime. I'll have to find out what it's called. It would make mopping much easier. I was going to do it to mine, but then I moved and I don't have the floor to dirty anymore. :(

Kristin said...

I want to see before and after pictures of the floor. My tile is pitted with dirt stuck in all the little crevices too! I tried a steam mop but it just couldn't do the job. Maybe I need to borrow your husband's toy!

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

Wow! What kind of contraption is that? It looks a little scary! I was going to recommend a sander! (o: I used one on my tub once, and it was a miracle worker. I don't recommend it on tubs though unless you are only renting.

lovecat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lovecat said...

Now you're thinking! If at first you don't succeed use a power tool!

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

I think it's the best idea I have heard of all year! Now you know you are living in a testosterone zone when you use a power tool to clean! You are my hero!!! Love it!

shannon said...

Not sure if it worked or not but wish I could have tried it myself. Using a machine like that just gives you such a sense of power.

Jenn said...

Sounds frightening. I'm a little scared about the whole thing. I'm kind of getting twitchy too.

Dweezleboss said...

Do you suppose it would just plain REMOVE my kitchen floor? If so, can I borrow it?